Button Bar

Friday, February 4, 2011

Pray Without Ceasing: 5 Practical Tips


“Pray without ceasing” – What does 1 Thessalonians 5:17 really mean? Do we literally need to drop everything in order to ramp up our prayer lives?

Obviously, God intended us to live, and that would be nearly impossible if we were fasting and praying every single minute. But there are some practical ways we can apply this tiny verse and still end up with major results.

1. Keep the communication lines open.
For me personally, I really dislike the word “Amen”. It sounds so…….final. I want my conversations with God to be continual throughout my day. He feels more like a friend and companion when I can tell Him what’s going on at any time, whether I am in the car, break room, or produce aisle!

2. Use post-it notes.
I am seriously a post-it note junkie; a new batch of unopened post-its is simply the best gift ever. So, I love that I am able to incorporate these little squares of paper into my daily routine. Do you have any prayer requests from your church, Bible study group, or family members? Write them on post-it notes and stick them in places where you will see them every day. A reminder like this will stimulate you to pray for whatever you wrote on that note!



3. Memorize Scripture.
A while ago, I wrote about the Memory Verse Pit, and how important it is to continually memorize the Words of God. The verses I have memorized bring me such comfort in a time of trial. Speaking the words is also a form of our worship to Him.

“Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes!” ~ Psalm 119:12

4. Utilize symbols.
When I glance down at my ring, I remember to pray for my marriage and for my husband. When I scrape the dirty dishes, I remember to thank God for the food He provided to nourish us. When I see my Bible laying on the nightstand, I try to thank Him for the wonderful preservation of His Word. Look for “symbols” around your home and use them as reminders to pray.

 
5. Sing to the Lord.
There are many wonderful songs out there that praise our God. Worshipping in this way brings much pleasure to Him and to me. The lyrics always lift my mood and remind me how wonderful He truly is!

Prayer does not always have to be about our needs, or someone else’s needs. In fact, it really shouldn’t be that way all the time. Strike a balance between your petitions and your praise. Thank Him regularly for the prayers He has answered, and one’s He has yet to answer. I guarantee you will see a big change in your prayer life!

0 comments:

Post a Comment