Button Bar

Friday, April 29, 2011

Going Gaga Over 'Judas' Controversy


Lady Gaga, best known for her eccentric outfits, has recently released a new hit single, Judas. Rush-released on April 15, the song not only continues to top iTunes charts, but also finds itself in the middle of quite a controversy. (Especially since she chose to release Judas so close to Easter.)

You can view the entire lyrics here, but for this post, I only want to point out a couple of key verses:

Part of Verse 1
When he comes to me, I am ready 
I'll wash his feet with my hair if he needs 
Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain 

Most likely she refers to Mary Magdalene - it is said she will "play" this character in her music video, which releases in early May.

 Part of Chorus
I'm just a Holy fool, oh baby he's so cruel  
But I'm still in love with Judas, baby  
I'm just a Holy fool, oh baby he's so cruel  
But I'm still in love with Judas, baby

She sings of loving Judas even though she knows she should stay away.

 Part of Bridge
In the most Biblical sense,  
I am beyond repentance   
Fame hooker, prostitute wench, vomits her mind
 
I wanna love you,  
But something's pulling me away from you  
Jesus is my virtue,  
Judas is the demon I cling to  
I cling to

She seems to feel unworthy of forgiveness. Although she wants to hang on to Jesus, Judas is who she ultimately chooses.

In addition to her outspoken advocate of gay rights, (most recently in the song, Born This Way), Lady Gaga now appears to be weaving political and religious statements throughout her lyrics. Those who enjoyed her catchy pop tunes on the radio are now seeing the real Gaga come out, and it's offending many. 

Most furious with the song are Catholics, who believe Lady Gaga disrespects the church through her choice to release the song during Holy Week. 
Jeff Field, communications director of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, commented, “It’s not a coincidence. If this were to come out at any other time, it might not even raise a flag with us.” (Source)

Gaga also offended Catholics in June of last year, when she played a nun who swallowed a rosary in her music video, Alejandro.

In her interviews about Judas, Lady Gaga responded to critics saying, "I feel like honestly that God sent me those lyrics and that melody. When you feel a message to give the world and people are shooting arrows through it.....there's no way for something that pure to be wrong." (Source)

Easter morning, Lady Gaga released a statement on Twitter, "Happy Easter Twitterland. JUDAS is about forgiveness+perseverance through struggle. Persevere today!....."

What do you think about the song? Is Gaga trying to get a rise out of religious affiliations or do we brush off these lyrics as artistic expression and "let it go"? 

I fear for our youth, who may be sucked in by addicting tunes, unaware of the songs' intended statements. I guarantee you Lady Gaga will  use Judas as a stepping stone for even stronger declarations and by then, she will have an even bigger audience to listen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment