Button Bar

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Radical Experiment: Pray for Every Nation

One of the many things I loved about the book “Radical”, was the practical applications in the last chapter. The spiritual benefits are so much greater when we can put what we have learned into practice – it makes our faith real and genuine.

David Platt outlines 5 specific ways to radically change your faith:

  1. Pray for the entire world.
  2. Read through the entire Word.
  3. Commit your life to a multiplying community. (Ex. Church membership, small groups, etc.)
  4. Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose.
  5. Spend your time in another context. (Ex. Volunteering in your community, missions trips, etc.)
I eventually want to participate in all of these, but I decided to begin with the very first one…….Praying for the entire world – Every country, every nation.

“Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few, therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.”
Matthew 9:37-38

This verse is not merely a suggestion, it is a command. Prayer changes things. If we are truly concerned about the lost peoples in nations around the world, then we need to pray for them!

  • Pray for the redemption of individuals who are the leaders of the country.
  • Pray that the Holy Spirit will work in the hearts of the unsaved.
  • Pray for the missionaries – that they will reach the lost with the gospel.
  • Pray for perseverance for the persecuted Christians.
  • Pray for the planting and growth of new churches.
I need accountability for this, thus the reason to share the experiment with you and participate publicly. I want you to join me too! Every week, starting next Wednesday, I will highlight a particular country (or two, or three!), give you some relevant statistics, and share some ideas on how to pray specifically for that country. This is going to be a long trek – it will probably take the whole year. But for me, it is needed. I will switch up the type of posts every week so we can keep this experiment fresh and interesting.

If you would like to join, (and I pray that you do!), please leave a comment here on my site or shoot me an email. You can also grab my button to put on your own blog if you would like.

I will be praying for every one of you who takes the plunge alongside me!


The Radical Experiment




7 comments:

Kristina said...

Sounds awesome! I'll definitely join you!

Harold H Comings said...

Will look forward to the prayer challenge. Thanks. I'll also share this with our folks tonight. Might even mention it next Sunday am since it dovetails nicely with the message-du-jour.

KalynBrooke said...

Thank you for the "publicity"! :) I can't wait to start this project - I have felt so challenged to look at what is going on outside the United States and focusing on the needs of other countries.

Dimond Dan said...

Looking forward to joining with you in this...thanks for the challenge!

Unknown said...

Great challenge. Count me in!

KalynBrooke said...

This is wonderful! I am so encouraged by the amount of participation - you will all be in my prayers as we journey through this together.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks for the challenge. I'm passing the "Irresistably Sweet" blogger award on to you. Come by and pick it up!

Post a Comment