Button Bar

Friday, January 28, 2011

Intentional Living

It is so easy to become entangled in the hum-drum of life, steady plodding along through work, church, and extra curricular activities without any real thought to what we, as human beings, are really doing here.

The world's philosophy tantalizes us to make more and more money by playing into our greed. It tempts us to accumulate treasures on earth by stirring up envy in our hearts. It seduces us into only looking out for ourselves. A Christian worldview exposes the flaws of this worldly perspective. Instead of living to bring pleasure to ourselves, we exist only to bring pleasure to our King.

It's pretty tough being told life is not all about you. I think the first time I truly realized there was more to life than (gulp) me, was the first summer I started worked at camp. Scrubbing toilets and picking up dirty dinner plates does absolutely nothing to boost your ego. But I learned something big that year. I found my greatest pleasure in ministering to other people. Cleaning the bathroom at home still occupies the top of my "most hated chores" list, but every time I do it, I remember that first summer when I realized serving God's children was way more satisfying than bringing attention to myself.

Intentional living is not exclusive to a sense of ambition or productivity as you operate from day to day. It involves productivity with a purpose. A higher purpose. One that obeys and accepts the desire of our Savior. 

The will of God is for you and me to give our lives urgently and recklessly to making the gospel and the glory of God known among the peoples, particularly those who have never even heard of Jesus. 

It is not about me, it's about Him.  It's about winning lost souls for Him. It's about denying myself, leaving the comfort and security in my possessions behind, and taking on the rewarding task of reflecting Christ and making disciples.


Living intentionally means waking up every morning with a renewed sense of hope because He created you with awe-inspiring intent. Living intentionally means opening up your heart to receive what He has to teach you and then passing on that encouragement to others. Living intentionally means diving into ministry wherever you are - in your community, in your church, and in your home.

When you refuse to align your will with God's, you will undoubtedly find yourself without peace. I have experienced it, I have fought it, and I have surrendered. 

Leave the American dream behind.

You will not miss it, I promise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment