Button Bar

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cake Resignation

I regret to inform all of you that I will be phasing my way out of baking and decorating cakes. This was a hard and confusing decision for me to make, as I was pretty sure this was the direction I wanted to take my career.

I have decorated cakes for almost two years and recently started a business so I could sell my goods at a local farmer’s market. But the rate of return on my cakes and cupcakes is not worth the back-breaking labor and long hours that come with it. I do not think people realize how much work it takes to make a professional cake or how time consuming this job really is. You hear a lot about cake decorators who charge $3.00-$5.00 per slice and think it is outrageous for them to charge so much. But now I know why. I have a lot of respect for bakers who do cakes as their full-time job.

The reason I left full-time work at the bank, and went back to part-time, was so I could have more opportunities at home to make cakes, try new recipes, and experiment with different cake techniques. I also thought I would have more time for my family. Although this was true for the first couple of weeks, I have gained so many clients that I have been running myself ragged trying to bake enough products for customers and for the market. What used to be a joy for me is now a stress factor as I juggle home life with my work. I want baking and creating sweet things to excite me like they did before, because now, I dread even walking into my kitchen.

I hope you all understand where I am coming from, but if not, that is okay too. I have put a lot of work into building up this business and I may take some flack by throwing it all away, but I have to do what is best for me and best for my family. I do not know what the Lord has in mind, but I am praying He will show me. If anything, this will draw me closer to Him as I rely on His direction for my life.

Would you mind praying for me as well? I have put my heart out here in this post and am very scared that I am walking into the unknown. I really would like to pursue a different job, one that relates more to my degree, and Lord-willing, I may have a couple opportunities coming up.

As for brides and other clients whom I have already discussed and planned their wedding cake with, do not fear. :) I will be finishing all of my client’s orders through September and will also honor any gift certificates or coupons that have already been given out. I will be canceling the rest of July and August market days at Ostiningo Park though, because I am completely booked with cakes through those months. We will play the September and October markets by ear.

As for the future, cakes will be more of a hobby and less of a business for me. I will still do some cakes for family and friends, but only as time allows. Thank you for hanging in there throughout this long post and being patient with me as I lean on Christ for His guidance.
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment