Button Bar

Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010 - Grocery Project

So........I said I was not making any New Year's Resolutions. I have a habit of setting high, unattainable goals for myself and when I don't reach them, I begin to venture down the road of disappointment and low self-worth. Hence, my personal, adamant loathing for Resolutions. Well, I am still not making a Resolution. Instead, I am endeavoring on a year-long project. :)

My family has been buying over $200 worth of groceries every month. (We are only a family of 2!) I was inspired by The Frugal Girl to start cutting back on this outrageous expense. I would like to take our grocery budget down to $150 per month, which means I cannot spend more than $35 per week on food. Depending on how well I do, I may try to include toiletries and paper products. Of course, to succeed, I must focus on more menu planning and using up leftovers before they spoil. (I often have an aversion to leftovers.)

I will keep track of my monthly progress on here so it will be easier to keep myself accountable. If I still have money in my budget at the end of the month, I will be giving the extra cash to my church by the way of the benevolence fund, capital campaign, or any other need the church may have.

I am excited to see if I can meet this challenge!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Sounds like a good challenge! We spend $100 a week for our family of 5 & that included diapers, cleaning products, toiletries...etc...anything we need from Walmart, Aldis, or any grocery store comes out of that money. I just did the math and that means we are only $12.50 over your budget of $35 per person. Although...we do buy our beef by the quarter of a cow and that does not come out of that $100 per week. I have wanted to lower our expenses, but now that I do the math I'm not sure we could get them too much lower. Unless I stop washing my hair or something like that! :-) Just kidding...I am NOT that desperate. Yet.

Kristina said...

What a good challenge!
I am endeavoring to not go to the store as much because I find that when I do go to the store I spend more than I should. Hmmmpph.

Our grocery budget is outlandish (partly because Paul eats enough for three people) but also because of my poor planning.

Now I am motivated to keep trying to cut this! Thanks Kalyn!

p.s.- how is your rabbit? Twix, right?

KalynBrooke said...

Kristina - It is hard because guys eat so much! I don't know how they manage to do it!

Twix is great! She is such a sweet pet (most of the time) and so much fun to be around. :)

Post a Comment